ABOUT THE STUDY
The Intern Health Study is an NIH-funded longitudinal cohort study that assesses stress and mood in medical interns at institutions around the US and China, enrolling 1500 to 3000 new interns each year. We are hopeful that data collected in this study will further understanding of the psychological, genetic, and program factors involved in the development of depression under stress, and make a real change in the residency experience.
Srijan Sen MD PhD
Frances and Kenneth Eisenberg Professor of Depression and Neurosciences
University of Michigan School of Medicine
SURVEYS: Participants will complete an initial survey and short follow-up surveys through the MyDataHelps App. Surveys will contain questions pertaining to personality traits, stressful life events, and psychological symptoms.
DAILY MOOD: Participants will receive notifications on their mobile device prompting them to rate their daily mood on a scale of 1 to 10.
FITNESS TRACKER (US only): Participants will regularly wear a Fitbit or Apple Watch for the purpose of measuring daily activity and sleep. Steps, sleep, and mood data for the past week, month, and year will display in the app.
WEEKLY CHALLENGES: Some participants will be able to partake in weekly step and sleep competitions against other PGY-1 programs.
DNA (US only): Because we are interested in the relationship between psychological, environmental, and genetic factors, participants will also be asked to submit a salivary DNA sample via postal mail. Participants will have the option to receive their raw genomic data for personal use.
We have designed this study to ensure complete security and confidentiality of the information participants provide.
If you will be beginning your medical internship in Summer 2021, you are eligible for our study!
1) After getting your invitation email, follow the instructions to download the MyDataHelps (MDH) app. If you have not received an invitation, but meet our eligibility requirements, please email us.
2) Launch the app and select “Use my email or phone #” to register for an account using the same email where you received this study invitation.
3) Accept your “Intern Health Study” invitation and follow the on-screen instructions to complete enrollment.
4) Complete the consent and initial survey to access the Activities page.
5) If you already have a Fitbit or Apple Watch you intend to use for the study, follow the instructions to connect your device after enrolling. You can expect to receive your $50 Amazon code via email within 1-2 weeks.
Salivary DNA kits and Fitbits (if applicable) will be mailed within 2-4 weeks.