How long will the study last?
Through the end of your intern year.
What happens if I change my mind about being in the study?
You may withdraw your consent and discontinue participation at any time by contacting the study team.
How will the researchers protect my privacy?
Your survey data and all other information collected through your phone, as well as your DNA sample (if applicable), will be coded with a unique non-decodable identifier so that all information you provide will remain confidential.
What information will be shared with Apple/Google?
None! All of the data is uploaded directly to the University of Michigan from your phone and stored in a secure HIPAA compliant environment. Apple or Google do NOT have access to any of the information you provide through the Intern Health app.
What phone version/operating system do I need?
The Intern+ App requires that you have an iPhone running iOS 10 or later or an Android device
running 5.0 Lollipop or later.
Will this app kill my battery?
No. The Intern+ App does not track your every step like Waze or other navigation apps.
You can check what percentage of your battery the app is using by accessing "settings" --> "battery".
Usage should be minimal to nothing.
Why is my data from the last few days not displaying on the app dashboard?
Fitbit: Try opening the Fitbit app on your phone and manually syncing.
Apple Watch: Try opening Napbot and then refreshing the Intern+ app.
What if NapBot isn't transmitting my sleep data?
1) Go to Settings > NapBot and turn on “Background App Refresh”
2) Go to Settings > Health > Intern+ and check that all data categories are turned on (Heart Rate, Sleep Analysis, Steps)
3) Go to Settings > Health > Data Access & Devices > NapBot and check that "Sleep Analysis" is turned on, as well as the other data categories (Active Energy, etc.)
4) If all of the above were already on, you could also try: Settings > NapBot and turn on "Cellular Data"
Otherwise, our tech team recommends manually syncing NapBot (opening the app on your Apple Watch or iPhone to view your past night's sleep data) each day. With time your iPhone should learn to prioritize the NapBot app as part of the background refresh function and won't require you to open it frequently to log sleep data and transmit to the Intern+ app.
Will I be able to participate if I have an Apple Watch?
Yes! Interns with an Apple Watch may now participate in our study.
What if I get a new phone?
No problem! Just email us and we’ll reset your access code so you can log on to the app on your new phone.
What are the weekly challenges and when do they start/end?
The competitions are either step or sleep weekly competitions against a different institution or program. Opponents will be chosen randomly each week when the competition begins at 12:00am each Monday.
What if I see "Circadian data unavailable based on current Fitbit permissions" on my dashboard?
To resolve this issue:
1) Go to the "Info" tab in the Intern+ App
2) Select "Fitbit (connected)" and then "Disconnect"
3) After successfully disconnecting the Fitbit, now try to "connect" again
4) Use your Fitbit username and password to log in
5) On the Fitbit permissions screen, select "allow all" (do not deselect any items)
6) Click "allow"
The message should update within a couple of hours. If not, you may need to log out of the Fitbit website on your browser first and then try the above instructions again. You can do this by going to https://accounts.fitbit.com.
Where do I go for technical support?
Please contact the study team at Intern_Health@med.umich.edu with any tech support issues.